Friday, December 22, 2017

SEEKING GOD’S PEACE FOR THE PEOPLE OF BRIDGETON

Asking God to fill our City with Heaven’s Peace, 
by Albert Kelly


Philippian 4:4-9
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

The people at Kindle report that this is the most downloaded passage of the Bible. It has been very meaningful to me in how it speaks about the peace of God. I cling to it when I face personal struggles, or when I need to respond to people in our city who have suffered, in order to find peace and understand God’s will.

Verse 6 says, “by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God” so I am specific in what I pray about. With gratitude, I focus on what is pure and just and righteous. It helps me to understand how to trust God, reason clearly and make decisions. And as I live it, God takes the burden from me – I’m freed from the heaviness of the situation.

During this next year I plan to work with the Bridgeton Christian Ministers Association for ways in which God’s people can be an even greater presence in the City of Bridgeton. We need to lift up the Lord to our community, so that the people of our city will reverence and respect God. We need to lift up the name of Jesus, so that his righteousness and justice will prevail. We need to lift up God’s promises for those who seek him, so that we will live by righteous hope. We need to be proactive and plan activities to meet people in the streets, where we can share God’s love and peace.

Prayer:
LORD, by Your Spirit, grow is in reverent fear that trusts You, so that we will not be anxious during difficult times, but to rest in You and experience Your peace. Fill Bridgeton with Your peace, that we might be known as The City of Peace!

In the name of Jesus, the Prince of Peace, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week Without Crime

Recently Mayor Kelly asked several churches to pray around the clock for Bridgeton. The goal was to cover the city in prayer. His hope was t...